Saturday, June 14, 2008

Jefferson Hayman

Forgot to mention my art excursion from Tuesday evening. Nick, Stella and myself went to the Affordable Art Fair, at the Pavillion on 18th street.
It was an exciting night, I think we all felt incredibly happy just being . That's a rare feeling.
Art was exciting too, lots of fun and lots of as Stella called them, "little people". Paintings and photographs of large expansive colorless areas with tiny accents of tiny people in color. I really like it. Simplicity always draws me in. I thought about how we all must be feeling really small these days. Not in a negative way, but how much is within us and yet how we all feel that it's all outside of us.



And on that note, I popped into the Arcadia gallery space and saw what I would love to have on my walls. Jefferson Hayman ,love his work. I love the frames. I was perhaps a little rude (now that I think about it) asking him if the frame is of importance and the photographs are secondary. He confirmed, I hope not to only agree with me.
There was a piece, an inch by inch photograph of black and white ocean. Simple, horizon and ocean, but the frame was this thick reclaimed moulding. Oh I loved it. If I wasn't going away for 5 weeks with no guaranteed (yet I am anticipating checks in the mail for all the work out there in the world) pay I would've bought that piece. I leave only an image of a frame that is somewhat similar, but not the same as the one I love.

Years ago I made a pin, a thick silver frame without a middle. I loved that piece and ocassionally entertained the idea of making more frames without the middle. I think I stopped because I found someone who has already done it. It was a good idea..idea that around the outcome (middle) is what life is all about, the process, the day to day. The image (result) is the end and for everyone always the most important piece. I am the person who is always rushing to get to that middle, that sometimes I forget about the process and the enjoyment of the moment as it's happening. This is a reminder.






No comments: